Monday, June 20, 2016

Week Four: Screencasting!


For our screen cast assignment, I chose to create something that many of my students will use in the fall when we come back to school.  Our Canvas learning management system is something I rely to work with students on digital citizenship skills.  It's also an opportunity for students to practice writing for an authentic audience.  It's great to see what they come up and how they respond to each other.  I have noticed that it takes a bit of practice and encouragement to get them to dive deeper and share more of their thinking. Anything I can do to get them to think through the process will really help their understanding of how conversation works. This is an important introduction (or reminder) of how to navigate the site and also what to think about when they post. In this screen cast, students learn how to access Canvas, post, and reply on the discussion board.  Enjoy!



Currently listening to: Ben Howard, Spotify Sessions (Live). I'm a sucker for an easygoing singer/songwriter. If you take Jason Isbell and Explosions in the Sky and mash them together, you get this great music for working on grad school! :) Check him out today!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Tony.
    I think that you have a great voice--very commanding and clear (also quite funny). As you talk, I like that you demonstrate as a student. By doing this, it makes it more clear for your students. I love that you have a discussion board for kids to write about different books they have read and can share their thinking. I want my librarians to have something like this for students to post "wish list" books and books they have read. My favorite part is when you told the kids to read the directions. I feel like I answer 90% of questions with "Did you read the directions?" Thanks for your video :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that you started your screencast with your purpose and explanation of the goal. Your pacing was appropriate for students and staff. Great step by step process with a thorough explanation throughout. Tying in the reminder of respectful posting is important, too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete