Sunday, July 24, 2016

Week 8: The New Media Consortium's Horizon Report

The New Media Consortium (NMC) produces a report each year entitled “The Horizon Report.” In it, they identify key trends in education related to technology and how it will be applied to the K-12 setting in the next five years. The NMC identifies challenges and sorts them into three categories: solvable, difficult, and wicked challenges that impede the progress of technology in education. They also predict the technologies that will be integrated into education in the next five years and sort these into three categories as well (in the next year, two-to-three years, and in four-to-five years).
In the 2015 Horizon Report, makerspaces are defined as a trend that will be adopted in the next year. Makerspaces fold in several themes and trends in technology, including STEM/STEAM initiatives, personalized learning, and challenge-based or problem-solving curriculum. As the report comments, “Schools are turning to makerspaces to facilitate activities that inspire confidence in young learners, and help them acquire entrepreneurial skills that are immediately applicable in the real world” (Johnson, L., Adams Becker, S., Estrada, V., & Freeman, A., 2015, p. 39). Because of this, makerspaces have the potential to develop critical thinking and 21st Century skills that our library’s mission statement outlines and is always looking to improve upon. Makerspaces allow for individuality and can get students who may not respond to traditional learning to engage and try something new. However, developing a makerspace in the elementary school library is also an enormous challenge. Unlike the middle school or high school (or public library), an elementary makerspace has a younger set of creators that are still learning problem solving skills, and also how to be self-directed.  This is a particularly interesting trend as I work next year to adopt a modified version of makerspace next year in our library. 

I have so many questions as I look to incorporate the makerspace idea into the library. What materials do I secure? How do I frame my lessons? What are my expectations for students in terms of completion or assessment? My initial thinking is that I start with project choices so that students can see some of the possibilities with the materials and kits I introduce. As I have been given the gift of working with students for at least 50 minutes each week, makerspace will only be a part of the balance of instruction within that timeframe.  I also need to make sure I still attend to literacy and inquiry skills.  Ideally, I would combine these three pillars and interweave them as much as possible, as well as digital citizenship. My plans for makerspace include a unit on coding/programming/robotics, construction/engineering, and electronics/circuitry.  My hope is that by giving students a variety of exposure, they will discover something (or more than one something) that engages them and makes them want to pursue interests.

Finally, I hope to give the students time to work on their Genius Hour/passion projects. 
Makerspace can be filed under what the NMC calls the “Solvable Challenge: those we understand and know how to solve” (Johnson, L., Adams Becker, S., Estrada, V., and Freeman, A., 2015, p. 22) in that it creates authentic learning opportunities for students that they are invested in. Students can be introduced to materials and challenges, but ultimately, they need to find a problem that they would like to solve. In the makerspace world, that might look like using their knowledge of circuits to create a new game, or it could be creating something like a Rube Goldberg machine.  As a librarian, I want my space to be a place where students can come in and feel comfortable taking risks and trying something new.  The report also states, “Whether the goal is to improve retention, foster natural passions and interests, or expose learners to real work situations, authentic learning strategies bring students a greater understanding of their abilities and purpose in life beyond the classroom” (Johnson, et al., 2015, p. 22). By connecting makerspaces to real-world situations and challenges, our library space will work to bring more authentic learning to students to get them more interested in possible career paths, as well as opportunities to use critical thinking skills. Though it will be a challenge, it’s great to see that the New Media Consortium backs makerspaces as a trend in the immediate future.  I can’t wait to add my voice to the conversation.

Currently listening to: Explosions in the Sky's radio station on Spotify. Explosions in the Sky is a band for when you don't want words distracting you but you still want something that is not orchestral music. Think Enya, but more solo guitar and less voice. It's great background music to relax to.

References:

Johnson, L., Adams Becker, S., Estrada, V., & Freeman, A. (2015). NMC Horizon Report: 2015 K-12 Edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium.


3 comments:

  1. Tony,
    I'm really interested to hear about how your makerspace unfolds. The concept is great, but I can't quite visualize how to make it work for my library just yet. I think I'm a few years from atttempting to add makerspace to my feasible goals. Like you, I have tons of questions about how to even get started. First, it helps that you have set time with your students each week. If, like my school, teachers can sign up to bring their classes in, but there is no true library time, setting up a makerspace may not be worth the time. Secondly, what materials are needed and what is the cost? Makerspaces have been a trending topic at several conferences I've attended, and there doesn't seem to be an answer to this question because the possibilities are endless. Some say you can create a makerspace by recycling what would become trash. However, for more advanced projects, like the circuits you mentioned, there would be costs involved. How much of my budget should be dedicated to this aspect of the library? This is a question that can't be answered until I know how useful the makerspace is. With all of these questions, I know that I can't quite get started, but I will definitely seek your advice as you take on the challenge!

    ~Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tony,

    I loved reading about the makerspace learning environments you are designing this year. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into what the purpose will be and you have a well-developed vision. I can see you creating new learning opportunities for your building that incorporates creativity, collaboration, and problem solving. Anytime you start teaching new curriculum there are challenges that you can try to predict. It will be interesting to figure out what modifications are necessary for the different grades.

    I liked how you wrote, “I also need to make sure I still attend to literacy and inquiry skills”. Keeping a balance with all of the ideas will be exciting. It is all important content and I think you will get positive feedback from students, other teachers, and parents. What an exciting year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony, you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out that elementary maker spaces offer more challenges in their creation. When you toured me around your library last spring, I was overwhelmed at the amount of different STEM related kits and do-dads. You readily admitted that teaching with these kits is a work in progress, which is admirable. What also impressed me was your willingness to work with your LRC teacher colleagues to help each other figure all of this stuff out.

    You noted that you have been given the "gift" of working with all of your students for 50 minutes a week...God love ya! I bet the teachers in your building feel that energy and jump on board as much as they can to support lessons you're teaching in the library. Do you wish that teachers were available during that 50 minute time frame so you could co-teach those lessons, instead of being in PLC meetings?

    We should all echo your desire to making the library a space "where students feel comfortable taking risks." Hopefully, your teachers will also want to work with you because they feel safe as well.

    ReplyDelete