I am so glad that I did not grow up in an era
where cyber-bullying was prevalent. Though my
household got our first computer when I was a freshman in high school, the
contact I had online was friendly as we were all learning how to navigate chat
rooms. Compared to the dystopian hellscape that seems to dominate communication
on much of the Internet these days, my teenage years on the Internet were
pretty tame. In chapter 12 of Adolescent
Online Social Communication and Behavior: Relationship Formation (Zheng & Burrow-Sanchez, 2010) entitled, "Cyberbullying
Internationally Increasing: New Challenges in the Technology
Generation" research on cyber-bullying, along with
anti-bullying instruction models, are presented to inform educators to
make them aware of challenges in the online world and to urge them to be more
proactive.
As
with any introduction to technology that is connected to the Internet, school
librarians must be ready to infuse digital citizenship at every opportunity. In
my school district (at the elementary level) we are required to teach digital
citizenship skills at third, fourth, and fifth grades. Librarians cover
topics including keeping personal information private, digital citizenship,
cyber-bullying, and Netiquette. The fifth graders also get a visit from the Naperville
Police Department about being safe online in both fourth and fifth grade. However,
the more I work in the library, the more I believe that this is just the basics
and we should be teaching much more. Students these days are basically born
with devices in their hands. It may be
cute that the two-year old can unlock the iPad and access their favorite app,
but as soon as they can comprehend, they need to be introduced to proper behavior
and safety online, lest they become yet another YouTube troll. Ayoma and
Talbert (2010) reveal some startling statistics about cyber-bullying, such as “…however, several studies have shown that approximately 15%
to 57% of school age students in the U.S. have experienced some types of cyber harassment”
(Ayoma and Talbert, 2010, p. 186).
Students need to know what to do in case something occurs and make sure
they are taking steps to not be part of the problem, either.
Librarians also
need to communicate more with the parents in their schools about the dangers of
cyber-bullying. According to Ayoma and Talbert (2010) parents are struggling to
create a safe environment for student because they do not understand the
dangers of cyberbullying. Ayoma and Talbert cite Shariff (2008) by reporting, “Shariff (2008) also reports that 32% of parents in her
survey thought online bullying could not hurt children because ‘it is just
words in cyberspace.’” (Ayoma & Talber, 2010, p. 192). School
librarians must show all stakeholders the consequences of such thinking and
that that they can be an asset. The authors comment, “Even for adults who are
aware of danger, the majority of them are not confident to instruct appropriate
use of mobiles and the Internet to their children (Ayoma & Talbert, p.
192). As technology evolves and our
parents feel left behind, librarians can provide information to assist them and
alleviate some apprehension. This can apply to classroom teachers as well. It
cannot only be the librarian’s responsibility to teach digital citizenship;
students need to hear about it from all of their teachers, as well as their
family members.
One of the most
comprehensive sites found online about digital citizenship education is from
Common Sense Media (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/educators/digital-citizenship).
This site provides a full scope and sequence for educators to implement lessons
from kindergarten through twelfth grade. It goes ways beyond the requirements
of our district and has activities for students, Nearpod lessons already
developed, and a full array of digital citizenship skills interwoven. They are
aligned to the Common Core State Standards and also have “Family Tip Sheets” to
send home with every lesson. As I increase my instructional time with students
next year and we continue towards become and one student, one device district,
digital citizenship will be a cornerstone part of instruction in the library. Students need to feel safe and confident in
their abilities to navigate the Internet without becoming targets or bullies
themselves. They need to learn that just like in real life, words and actions
have consequences. The more the
librarians can do to bridge those concepts between ‘real life’ and online, the better
citizens we are going to raise overall.
References:
Aoyama, I. &
Talbert, T. L. (2010). Chapter 12 Cyberbullying internationally increasing: New
challenges in the technology generation. Adolescent
Online Social Communication and Behavior: Relationship Formation on the
Internet. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. DOI:10.4018/978-1-605660926-7.ch012.
K-12 Digital
Citizenship Curriculum. (2016). Common
Sense Media. Retrieved from https://www.commonsensemedia.org/educators/digital-citizenship.
------------------------------------------------------------
Currently listening
to: Jason Isbell via Spotify. Secret confession time—though I don’t love
country music, I can be found listening to alt-country/singer-songwriter fusion
A LOT on Spotify. (I also enjoy bluegrass, but that’s a different story for a
different day) Jason Isbell takes all
the good of country music and makes his singer-songwriter folksiness even
better. His Spotify radio includes people like Dawes, John Prine, and Ryan
Adams. He’s earnest and soulful without
being over the top. Check him out today!
Hi Tony,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your perspective about cyberbullying. I, too, was amazed when I read that parents did not believe that online bullying would harm their children. Whether parents don’t think it could happen to their child, or they believe that their child is stronger than words, their thinking is naïve. As Aoyama and Talbert (2010) stated, “…as many as 57% of school age students in the U.S. have experienced some types of cyber harassment,” (p. 183). Parents need to be made aware of this startling statistic, and given ideas for how to monitor their child’s activities on computers, cellphones, and tablets. Parents need to know the signs to look for when their child is being cyberbullied, or hold their child accountable for all posts and comments made.
I fully agree with your statement, “It cannot only be the librarian’s responsibility to teach digital citizenship; students need to hear about it from all of their teachers, as well as their family members.” As districts move to one device per student, the need to work together as a team is even greater. The more people vested in teaching students how to use and share information safely and ethically, the more value students will place on it. Teaching digital citizenship is important, but once students leave school, educators need to be able to rely on parents to continue to monitor students’ use of technology to insure it is being used appropriately.
I truly believe that teaching digital citizenship alone is not enough to keep our students safe. We can give them all the information they need, they have to make the choice to do the right thing. Somehow, we need to address core values and help them understand they have the power to end cyberbullying by making good choices.
Hi Tony,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I agree that times have changed quite a bit and we (parents, teachers, librarians) now have to quickly adjust to this. I am wondering about the police visit as you were not the only one to mention this. This is not something that happens in my district but I think it would be so beneficial. We do have DARE for our fifth graders and I believe there is a brief discussion on online safety. But, I think we need to do more in my district. Is this something that the police department offers to your school or did you seek them out? I would like to learn more in order to initiate something for my students. I do believe that the more adults we have teaming together to share the same message will help to tame this crazy world we are in right now.
Christina-
DeleteThis is actually part of two programs we have here in Naperville. One is the Be Smart, Be Safe program, and the fifth grade program doesn't have a name, but we often wrap it in with digital citizenship lessons in October. The Naperville Police Dept. has established these programs. This year, I added a Q and A session for the students because they have some great questions, including what to do when they start to feel uncomfortable on the Internet! I bet your police dept. does a similar program--give them a call!
Hi, Tony.
ReplyDeleteAs soon as I read your first comment "I am so glad that I did not grow up in an era where cyber-bullying was prevalent. Though my household got our first computer when I was a freshman in high school, the contact I had online was friendly as we were all learning how to navigate chat rooms" I thought the same thing. Students nowadays have no idea how much they put themselves at risk since everything now is digital. For the most part, anything they do is caught on tape and really can't ever be truly erased. That is why I think it is so important to teach students what is out there and that it is important to teach students how to be responsible citizens.
In regards to the role of the librarian, I agree with you that "Librarians also need to communicate more with the parents in their schools about the dangers of cyber-bullying." Since librarians are the ones who know a lot about technology and utilizing technology, it is important that they communicate this knowledge with teachers and parents. If everyone is in the "know" then it will make it much harder or maybe make kids less willing to participate in online bullying. I know I need to learn much more about technology and all the different ways students can utilize technology to bully which has made me realize how important it is to teach and talk to my students about it.
(Listening to David Bowie's Let's Dance as I read your blog posts!)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete