Saturday, June 4, 2016

Intro, Bio, and Walking on Sunshine

Intro, Bio, and Walking on Sunshine

Welcome to the the Libratory! Thanks for checking in on my little corner of the Internet. It's important to note that I'm trying to be a forward-facing librarian.  I embrace the trends that the library has seen over the past 30 years.  My particular building and district are currently working to update the mission of the library space. My dream is that it will be place where students and staff come in to wonder, collaborate, and innovate.

I’m originally from Warrenville, and I currently live there now.  I’ve just completed my sixteenth year of teaching.  I received my undergraduate degree in Elementary Education at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign in 2000. For first four years of my career, I stayed in Champaign and taught second grade. After my time in Champaign, I began working in Arlington Heights, teaching second grade again. During this time, I completed my Master’s in Literacy and obtained my reading specialist certificate through Benedictine University. After three years in Arlington Heights, I took a job teaching fourth grade. In the last nine years at my school in Naperville, I spent most of the time teaching fourth grade, with a one year detour into third grade. I also completed the National Board Certified Teacher program as a Middle Childhood Generalist.  I’ve been interested in being a librarian for about seven or eight years.  I took six courses through Aurora University, which had a partnership with my district.  When that partnership was discontinued, I put off the librarian plans until I decided to interview for the position in my school.  I love the freedom and opportunity the library brings to my teaching and I love that I get to work with all the students in my building.  I’m looking forward to acquiring many more skills to help my students become self-directed, inquisitive, and collaborative learners.  I look forward to the challenge of applying my teaching background to the librarian role as I add understanding of what school libraries can and should do for their building and community!  In the 2015-16 school year, I became the school librarian for my building.  It’s been an excellent transition and challenge as I’ve embraced this new role.

This year, I saw each class of students for 25-30 minutes a week, which included time to check out books.  Because of a shift in our scheduling, I will now have the opportunity in the fall to teach each class in 50 minute or one hour blocks (this includes check-out time as well). I'm really looking forward to the increase in student contact time because I can begin to add three phase of the library together.

I love working with students on developing their love of reading.  Chances are, if you come to me, I'll find a book that you can enjoy.  I'm still working on finding the balance of literacy, inquiry, and technology.  Last year, my third and fourth grade students learned about researching online and offline through my version of Genius Hour. During this time, students were allowed to research a question that they were most interested in, such as "What are black holes?" or "What other fairy tales did Disney use besides Snow White?", and then presented them to their classes.  I also worked with every grade level on learning how to use all the different apps and resources our district provides.  Finally, I began incorporating some STEM activities, focusing mostly on coding and programming.  I look forward to integrating all three next year as I work with students for larger chunks of time.

Speaking of technology, on a scale of one to five, I rated myself somewhere between a 
four and a five.  I am very comfortable adapting and learning about new technology, but with the demands of the job and home life, it's incredibly challenging to keep up with the latest and greatest.  I tend to look for technology through the lens of its application. In other words, does this app/site/device have multiple uses and outlets for creation?  Can it be used across grade levels or have different applications for supporting educators?  I love Twitter and am astounded by the way it's helped me develop a professional learning network.  I'm selfishly working on keeping a set of iPads in the library so my students can practice and find new uses for the core set of apps I like to teach them (PicCollage, Explain Everything, iMovie, and more).

Finally, I love music.  I try to listen to different genres, but I go on kicks of certain musicians and styles.  Currently, I'm stuck between New Orleans funk and Hamilton.  You can always ask me what song is going on in my head, because there always seems to be one.  Music centers me and brings out the best in me (it's no wonder I married a professional musician).  It brightens my mood and gives a little sunshine to my day. 

Currently listening to: Trombone Shorty Radio on Spotify  (if you have a Spotify account) 
Song: Ain't Nothing but a Party by the Dirty Dozen Brass Band  (fantastic live if you ever get a chance to see them...)

Have a great week!


6 comments:

  1. Hi Tony~

    Thanks for such a detailed introduction. I found it interesting how you are getting increased instruction time with your classes next year. Going from 30 to 50 minutes is going to be a game changer for you! I know you are focusing on transforming the library into a collaborative, learning commons and with more time that will be a huge help. I'm excited to see the end product and I'd love to brainstorm ideas with you during our classes.

    Also, I understand your thoughts about how technology is always changing. I think for anyone to rate themselves a five only would be challenging. I believe the goal with using new technology is to be open minded and focused on how it can help students dig deeper, collaborate, and create. I think class will help us accomplish that!

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony,

    You and I have very similar visions of what the library can become. Similar to your district, the school I work in has made many recent changes and is moving forward with updating the mission of the library. Although our current librarian is outstanding with collaboration and assisting students with plenty more needs than book check out, I still have this vision of the library being a place of freedom. As you said, a place for kids to come wonder and explore the many journeys books offer, collaborate to find the true value in working together, and innovate like their little minds are so good at. I want the library to be a large space full of kids and staff working together to create organic and downright meaningful learning adventures.

    Throughout your sixteen years in the world of education, it seems you are very well rounded and versed. I admire your motivation with all of the ways you have furthered your education, as well as your interest in pursuing different paths along the way. I am excited to hear more of your journeys this year as you continue gaining experience as a librarian. It sounds like you have already created many meaningful experiences for the kiddos who bring their learning into the library, and it is exciting that you get to lengthen your time with each and every one of them this coming year. There are endless possibilities our role as librarians can take on, and you are obviously headed in a great direction!

    ~Breann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you use the word "wonder" and may want to steal that some day. As I read your blog, I immediately was imagining students walking into a dream library with mouths open and eyes wide, just full of wonder and excitement. That is a great word and you have used it in a perfect way!

    I agree that it is a challenge to keep up with all of the new technology and think you are spot on to focus on how we can use it to best meet the needs of our learners.

    Great blog! Thanks for sharing!

    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you use the word "wonder" and may want to steal that some day. As I read your blog, I immediately was imagining students walking into a dream library with mouths open and eyes wide, just full of wonder and excitement. That is a great word and you have used it in a perfect way!

    I agree that it is a challenge to keep up with all of the new technology and think you are spot on to focus on how we can use it to best meet the needs of our learners.

    Great blog! Thanks for sharing!

    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony,
    I enjoyed reading more about you and your library! Having recently visited you and your wonderful staff, I am sure you can pull off the incredible feat of combining book recommendations, read alouds, and maker space activities.

    I also am a big music fan. Rarely will you find me in a silent room or vehicle. Even with the noise all of my kids make on a daily basis, music really calms me down. When I was in the classroom, I played classical music for my students as they worked. I'm proud to say that I even created some classical fans along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your mission statement: a "place where students and staff come in to wonder, collaborate, and innovate." That says it all! As a high school librarian, I can only envy your set schedule where you can work with all students in your time period. Your use of time there is also exemplary.

    Currently listening to Dean Martin's "That's Amore" as my iTunes is on shuffle while I grade these blogs! I like the surprise of what is coming next; sometimes I love it and sometimes not.

    ReplyDelete