Sunday, June 26, 2016
Week Five: Tornado in the Library!
Week Five: Webquests: Hi, my Name is Melvil Dewey!
As I began to search for Webquests, I decided to look for something I can use in my library now, as in THIS fall when I return to the library. Regardless of how well I've worked with the students last year, everyone is going to need a tune-up in using the library. One of the biggest challenges I noticed in my first year was getting students to feel comfortable navigating the library on their own. Often they could search on the computer, but not really understand where to go from there. This was particularly true at for the nonfiction section. Despite new signage, an engaging story of Melvil Dewey, and practice, my students still did not really "get" how to find resources on their own. I've been pondering how I want to approach this problem as I get a second crack at it.
Enter Webquests. Though they are not as popular as they were 12-15 years ago, they still have a place as a tool that teachers and students can use in a guided activity to focus on investigating a topic, process, or skill. As I set out to find a great Webquest, I decided to look for something that could be used in the library, involved students creating something to share with others, and had students working together. After looking around http://zunal.com for a bit, I found it. The Webquest that's going to help my students build self-direction skills and confidence for finding all the materials in our library: Tornado in the Library!
Tornado in the Library! follows a simple premise; the books in the library have been scattered, and the library is recovering from some paper cuts as a storm set the library (and only the library, thankfully) into disarray. Written towards the students, this Webquest asks students to create a PowerPoint (and I would modify for Google Slides) to show how to put the library back together using the Dewey Decimal system. Student need to find out about the system and there are several still-working links that provide enough background information for students to create their presentation.
There are many reasons why this Webquest is a great choice for elementary school librarians. First, it is a simple enough task that students wouldn't feel bogged down in the details, but it's also complex enough for variety in the presentation. Students are working collaboratively, but also have specific roles within their teams. They must discuss with each other what information is relevant to which role and how to make it all work together cohesively. The lesson is targeted for third through fifth graders. Third graders would benefit from this because they are on the cusp of beginning to understand the structure of the library and can manipulate websites as well. This Webquest would also be great practice for other skills. Students get to practice using Google Slides, which they would not have too much experience with yet. Students also need to be able to read, comprehend, and synthesize the information they find on the websites so that everyone will understand. The voice and the approach of the Webquest engages students and gives them a purpose for what they are doing. Moreover, it transforms the sometimes dry and passive learning of the Dewey decimal system into a dynamic activity that students should be able to remember for a long time.
Ultimately, this lesson has a solid place in the library. With some small modifications (changing to Google Slides to increase collaboration, updating some of the links, and creating a note-taking space for information and logging of sites visited), it could become an even more dynamic way to help students understand how and why the library is organized the way it is. Students have the opportunity to build knowledge through this Webquest while also practicing useful skills. As I implement this lesson this fall, I'm excited to see how much it helps the students navigate the library and build their confidence when researching using print resources. This is a goal of all librarians, and Tornado in the Library! will help them work towards achieving it!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Currently listening to: Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats. Their debut album has gotten me hooked as I love their combination of blues, rock, and pop. The best way I described them to a friend this weekend was a sweaty lovechild of Van Morrison, Spoon, and Fitz and the Tantrums. They've got charisma and a timeless sound that I hope will be around for a long time to come.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Tomy,
ReplyDeleteThe very first thing I noticed was how the groups worked together. It was not everyone working on the same thing. It was the groups work together and then they work alone and then they come back together to work. I think that is a very effective way to work in groups. The members are still need to be responsible to themselves and to each other. Communication is still key. Yet, it takes away work falling on some of the groups members. It makes everyone accountable. I also think this is an engaging way to introduce the Dewey Decimal System and how books are organized in the library.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTony,
ReplyDeleteI agree! I think this is a wonderful webquest that will engage your learners and help them internalize the Dewey Decimal Classification System. Thanks for sharing it. One thing that stood out to me is that students are not just being lectured on the Dewey Decimal System. The act of organizing books themselves using the classification system holds significant value. I know we read that learning styles really don't matter when teaching students, but I believe there is something about physically using the information you learn and creating your own product. I have a feeling that after completing this webquest, your students will remember where to locate books that are of high interest to them. This is one of those learning activities that will stay with students forever. As you mentioned, the more practice students have with it, the better they will be at it.
Hi Tony,
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun idea! I agree, I think this would be an excellent web quest to use in your library. I love the introduction to the web quest. That is going to hook the students in right from the start! This could be a great opportunity to help students navigate through Google Slides and increase their background knowledge about the Dewey Decimal System. I liked reading your observations from last year, about students in the library. I would think creating independence and confidence while working in the library takes time. I think this is an engaging, creative way to have your students review or learn new library skills.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete